We’re all about helping developers discover new ways to drive adoption of their apps organically – because organic users are the best, most valuable users. One of the best ways to do this is to optimize your keywords and drive high quality, honest reviews about your app from real end users. The reviews and ratings will be tied directly to the keywords associated with your app – as you have more reviews with relevent keywords, your rank will increase! This is of course what Gummicube is all about.
Another method of promoting your apps organically is SEO (search engine optimization). The reason that SEO is important in a mobile world is two-fold:
1. Just like users search for apps in the App Store, many will “Google” for apps and you want to be at the top of the stack on the first page.
2. We believe that in the future, App Store Search is going to incorporate some degree of “score” for back links and web-based metadata.
There have been suggestions that search in Google Play is already incorporating some of this web-based metadata into their app store search algorithm. To be prepared for this important new “factor” in search based app discovery there are a few things that you can do:
- Have a great “squeeze page” online that is filled with great content and metadata. If you are serious about app store success, you will need to throw up a WordPress site at a very minimum that is loaded with great, useful content for your end users. Don’t forget to make the content keyword rich.
- Focus on the same keywords for both your SEO and your ASO efforts. They will work together to make your app stand out and target the right audience. For SEO, try to focus on 10 keywords or less that have meaningful traffic but low competition (if possible). You can use the Google Keyword Planner to research keywords that will make a difference for your app.
Hint: This is the same tool that many of the companies who provide keyword analysis for ASO use to determine traffic volume and relevance (they aren’t actually scraping search data from the App Store) and you’ll get it for free by getting to know how to use Google Keyword Planner.
- Write great press releases and distribute them everywhere. There are a ton of websites and news organizations that cover apps as well as directories where you can submit your press releases. Many have great “PR” (page rank) with Google, which can help boost up your own site rank.
This can seem like a lot of work for an independent developer – but not to worry – there are plenty of services that can help you optimize for SEO and submit your press releases to plenty of websites and news organizations. One partner that we can recommend for this type of App Marketing is yourappreport. YourAppReport has a great track record of delivering results for a reasonable price and can help get your app the web coverage that you are looking for.
They also have a great free keyword analysis report that can give you tons of great high level data about your app/keyword/strategy.